Saturday, April 24, 2010

Will we always follow the crowd?

In January when someone mentioned Mark Twain I imminently thought, white suit, Tom Sawyer, Mississippi River and Huck Finn... He was not someone I would say followed the crowd. He lived to set a statement.

It interests me that he spends so many of the pieces discussing how society follows the crowd even when immoral acts are being done, such as lynching. I've been paying closer attention to this idea and I agree with Twain, people go with the flow of society to fit in, even if it isn't the right thing to do. And sometimes when you stand up for something you believe isn't right other people turn against you and then shun or hurt you.

It is a vicious cycle, because being like to be liked and have friends. It isn't something that can be easily changed, but if people continue to stand up for what they truly believe in time and time again. I believe slowly going with the crowd will change, but not as quickly as Mark Twain would have wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment